Bruce Boone

First edition of Karate Flower, cover by Michael Ford; Hoddypoll Press, 1973.

BUDDIES IN SPACE

I love my man. On this piece of velvet
what’s pleasanter than twinkly lights.
In my absence I don’t compare hot breath.
The blistering limbs keep plastering our
walls. Against this determination are
three. The mind’s the body, spirit too.
Soul’s irreducible. A finishing with the
quest for mastery in the pumping of iron.
My wish is the gods grant you a long and
happy, Thor 3. This was to kiss, salute.
Same to you sincerely, Atem bar Akatan.
We grossly ignored the doubts I told him,
my plan to teach. Without resolves or
resources, I told him, these asteroids
continue to whirl. Where they have limbs,
our pride’s bolts. Look from that porthole.
The spears of light that are thrown down,
ache in. Boisterous freedom’s my
only delight. Be loving you too, true.
Emblazoned on the foreheads were stars.

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...