Dylan Thomas

 


Dylan Thomas intertextualist English tradition

To-Day, This Insect

To-day, this insect, and the world I breathe, 
Now that my symbols have outelbowed space, 
Time at the city spectacles, and half 
The dear, daft time I take to nudge the sentence, 
In trust and tale I have divided sense, 
Slapped down the guillotine, the blood-red double 
Of head and tail made witnesses to this 
Murder of Eden and green genesis. 

The insect certain is the plague of fables. 

This story's monster has a serpent caul, 
Blind in the coil scrams round the blazing outline, 
Measures his own length on the garden wall 
And breaks his shell in the last shocked beginning; 
A crocodile before the chrysalis, 
Before the fall from love the flying heartbone, 
Winged like a sabbath ass this children's piece 
Uncredited blows Jericho on Eden. 

The insect fable is the certain promise. 

Death: death of Hamlet and the nightmare madmen, 
An air-drawn windmill on a wooden horse, 
John's beast, Job's patience, and the fibs of vision, 
Greek in the Irish sea the ageless voice: 
'Adam I love, my madmen's love is endless, 
No tell-tale lover has an end more certain, 
All legends' sweethearts on a tree of stories, 
My cross of tales behind the fabulous curtain.'

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...