Bernadette Mayer

Ms. Mayer, wearing a shorr-sleeved shirt and looking pensive with her right hand near her chin, standing on a New York City sidewalk.

Incandescent War Poem Sonnet

Even before I saw the chambered nautilus 
I wanted to sail not in the us navy 
Tonight I'm waiting for you, your letter 
At the same time his letter, the view of you 
By him and then by me in the park, no rhymes 
I saw you, this is in prose, no it's not 
Sitting with the molluscs & anemones in an 
Empty autumn enterprise baby you look pretty 
With your long eventual hair, is love king? 
What's this? A sonnet? Love's a babe we know that 
I'm coming up, I'm coming, Shakespeare only stuck 
To one subject but I'll mention nobody said 
You have to get young Americans some ice cream 
In the artificial light in which she woke 

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...