Ted Berrigan


Ted Berrigan Reads At The Village Theatre


Sonnets for Tom Clark

            (in recognition of his kindness)

 1.

In The Early Morning Rain
To my family & friends          “Hello”
And money. With something inside us we float up
On this electric chair each breath nearer the last
Now is spinning
Seven thousand feet over / The American Midwest
Gus walks up under the arb-light as far as the first person
The part that goes over the fence last
And down in a green forest ravine            near to “her”
Winds in the stratosphere
                                                Apologize to the malcontents
Downstairs. The black bag & the wise man may be found
                 in the brain-room.
what sky out there                     Take it away
                                   & it’s off
one foot
               is expressing itself as continuum
the other, sock


2.

Tomorrow.          I need to kill
Blank mind part                     Confusions of the cloth
White snow whirls everywhere.           Across the fields
in the sky the
                          Soft, loose  
stars swarm. Nature makes my teeth “to hurt”
shivering now on 32nd street in my face & in my head
does Bobby Dylan ever come around here?    listen
it’s alive        where exposed nerve jangles
& I         looming over Jap’s American flag
In Public, In Private        The Sky Pilot In No-Man’s-Land
The World Number 14        is tipsy as pinballs on the ocean
We are bored through......through......through with our professionalism
Outside her
Windows

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...