Allen Ginsberg

 


A Strange New Cottage in Berkeley 

All afternoon cutting bramble blackberries off a tottering brown
fence
under a low branch with its rotten old apricots miscellaneous under
the leaves,
 fixing the drip in the intricate gut machinery of a new toilet;
     found a good coffeepot in the vines by the porch, rolled a big tire out
of the scarlet bushes, hid my marijuana;
wet the flowers, playing the sunlit water each to each, returning for 
godly extra drops for the stringbeans and daisies;
three times walked round the grass and sighed absently:
my reward, when the garden fed me its plums from the form of a
small tree in the corner,
 an angel thoughtful of my stomach, and my dry and lovelorn tongue.

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...