Edna St. Vincent Benet

 Edna St. Vincent Millay

II 

I think I should have loved you presently, 
And given in earnest words I flung in jest; 
And lifted honest eyes for you to see, 
And caught your hand against my cheek and breast; 
And all my pretty follies flung aside 
That won you to me, and beneath your gaze, 
Naked of reticence and shorn of pride, 
Spread like a chart my little wicked ways. 
I, that had been to you, had you remained, 
But one more waking from a recurrent dream, 
Cherish no less the certain stakes I gained, 
And walk your memory's halls, austere, supreme, 
A ghost in marble of a girl you knew 
Who would have loved you in a day or two. 

IV 
I shall forget you presently, my dear, 
So make the most of this, your little day, 
Your little month, your little half a year, 
Ere I forget, or die, or move away, 
And we are done forever; by and by 
I shall forget you, as I said, but now, 
If you entreat me with your loveliest lie 
I will protest you with my favorite vow. 
I would indeed that love were longer-lived, 
And vows were not so brittle as they are, 
But so it is, and nature has contrived 
To struggle on without a break thus far, — 
Whether or not we find what we are seeking 
Is idle, biologically speaking. 

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...