Samuel Beckett


Samuel Beckett Paris April 1979. Photograph by Richard Avedon. © The Richard Avedon Foundation.

 Paris (1979) photograph by Richard Avedon

Serena I

without the grand old British Museum 
Thales and the Aretino 
on the bosom of the Regent’s Park the phlox 
crackles under the thunder 
scarlet beauty in our world dead fish adrift 
all things full of gods 
pressed down and bleeding 
a weaver-bird is tangerine the harpy is past caring 
the condor likewise in his mangy boa 
they stare out across monkey-hill the elephants 
Ireland 
the light creeps down their old home canyon 
sucks me aloof to that old reliable 
the burning btm of George the drill 
ah across the way a adder 
broaches her rat 
white as snow 
in her dazzling oven strom of peristalsis 
limae labor 

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...