Jane Kenyon

 Poem of the week: Diamonds of clarity on the human condition


Thinking of Madame Bovary

The first hot April day the granite step

was warm. Flies droned in the grass.

When a car went past they rose

in unison, then dropped back down. . . .

I saw that a yellow crocus bud had pierced

a dead oak leaf, then opened wide. How strong

its appetite for the luxury of the sun!

Everyone longs for love’s tense joy and red delights.

And then I spied an ant

dragging a ragged, disembodied wing

up the warm brick walk. It must have been

the Methodist in me that leaned forward,

preceded by my shadow, to put a twig just where

the ant was struggling with its own desire.

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...