Lee Harwood

Lee Harwood, by Edward Lucie-Smith - NPG x17444    Photograph by Edward Lucie-Smith (1970)


Today I got very excited when I read some

poems by Mallarmé and Edwin Denby, and later

in the evening, by F.T. Prince.

I don't get “excited” very often,
but today was an exception;
and the fact I got “excited” was only
increased when I realised two of them – Denby
and Prince – are still alive and are probably
now asleep in their beds in nice apartments.

Ted Berrigan has met Edwin Denby.
I don't know anyone who's met F.T. Prince.
I wish I could meet F.T. Prince;
maybe I will some day, but it will have to be soon
as he must be getting old.


John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...