Peter Porter

Book cover for Chorale at the Crossing


Killing a Mosquito

I slap the mozzie on my hand,

the blood is mine, the black its all,

that this one second might befall;

it can't, but I can understand

the rule - in whose court is the ball?

What said of it that I should kill it

since later or soon I'd have to scratch?

No password, sesame or millet,

urged: lift the multi-treasured latch.

As well defrost a piece of fillet

and brave a blood this blood to match.

When Francis Bacon wrote that men

fear death as children fear to go

into the dark, he dipped his pen

in blood as light as ink; he'd show

the fretful soul that what might happen

was quaint as killing a mosquito.

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...