Wanda Coleman


with Richard Berry& Michelle T. Clinton

 

Watching


the television on 
tv tray by the bedstead, plate of food 
fish odor rising and blue cheese dressing 
the curling upward of smoke 
outside raining 
kids in the bedroom playing, squeals of laughter 
die down as bed time approaches and grabs them 
the television, on 
black and white people moving in fantastic world 
tv tray by the bedstead, plate of food empty 
stale smell of cigarette smoke 
me in bed, watching--waiting 
clock ticks raucous 
boom boom boom bass sound of neighbor's stereo below 
faint voice of woman yelling in apartment next door 
looking at the window, stars break thru the rain 
letting up 
bang bang bang, cops and robbers on television 
the book, open, lays face down beside me 
sleep runs away every time i reach for it 
i am hungry--feeding time at the vagina 
half-naked i hide between sheets 
he lays there with me 32 years dead 
his corpse shows no sign of life 
he can't fool me 

one eye is watching television 

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...