Blog Archive

Ernest Dowson

Frontispiece for original edition

View fullsize

Aubrey Beardsley. Pen-and-ink drawing. Frontispiece,
Pierrot of the Minute. London, Smithers, 1905


PIERROT 


[ Softly .] 

Music, more music, far away and faint: 
It is an echo of mine heart's complaint. 
Why should I be so musical and sad? 
I wonder why I used to be so glad? 
In single glee I chased blue butterflies, 
Half butterfly myself, but not so wise, 
For they were twain, and I was only one. 
Ah me! how pitiful to be alone. 
My brown birds told me much, but in mine ear 
They never whispered this — I learned iThere: 
The soft wood sounds, the rustlings in the breeze, 
Are but the stealthy kisses of the trees. 
Each flower and fern in this enchanted wood 
Leans to her fellow, and is understood; 
The eglantine, in loftier station set, 
Stoops down to woo the maidly violet. 
In gracile pairs the very lilies grow: 
None is companionless except Pierrot. 
Music, more music! how its echoes steal 
Upon my senses with unlooked for weal. 
Tired am I, tired, and far from this lone glade 
Seems mine old joy in rout and masquerade. 
Sleep cometh over me, now will I prove, 
By Cupid's grace, what is this thing called love. 
[ Sleeps .] 
[ There is more music of lutes for an interval, during which a bright radiance, white and cold, streams from the temple upon the face of Pierrot. Presently a Moon Maiden steps out of the temple; she descends and stands over the sleeper .] 

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...