Blog Archive

Charlotte Bronte

 

                    George Richmond. Charlotte Bronte. chalk, 1850.


On the Death of Anne Brontë





There’s little joy in life for me,

      And little terror in the grave;
I ‘ve lived the parting hour to see
      Of one I would have died to save.


Calmly to watch the failing breath,
      Wishing each sigh might be the last;
Longing to see the shade of death
      O’er those belovèd features cast.


The cloud, the stillness that must part
      The darling of my life from me;
And then to thank God from my heart,
      To thank Him well and fervently;


Although I knew that we had lost
      The hope and glory of our life;
And now, benighted, tempest-tossed,
      Must bear alone the weary strife.

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...