Blog Archive

Elizabeth Gaskell


Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell, author of Cranford and North and South. Portrait by George Richmond © National Portrait Gallery, London.

George Richmond. Elizabeth Gaskell. chalk, 1851 (detail)


December 14, 1860

To: Edward E. Hale, a prominent Boston Unitarian minister and friends with the Gaskell family

My dear Mr. Hale,

…You left us… [with] Mr. Gaskell just going to have a new colleague, a Mr. Drummond, aged 25, at whose ordination you were to have assisted, only you didn’t.

Well! Mr. Drummond came; a small slight young man, with a lovely complexions, beautiful, steady-looking eyes, and an expression of goodness such as I have seldom seen equaled. He stayed with us till he could meet with lodgings; he was shy & reserved in society, but when he got into the pulpit he became bold and outspoken from the very fervor of his convictions; and yet he is so tender as well s so earnest in his religious feelings.

I think him very sweet and good in private life, but rather feel as if I were his mother, & might advise and order him about; but in the pulpit I feel like a child learning from a disciple.

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...