Blog Archive

Robert Browning


Dylan Thomas's list of Robert Browning poems 

Dylan Thomas. List of Robert Browning poems


Soliloquy Of The Spanish Cloister

I. 

Gr-r-r---there go, my heart's abhorrence! 
Water your damned flower-pots, do! 
If hate killed men, Brother Lawrence, 
God's blood, would not mine kill you! 
What? your myrtle-bush wants trimming? 
Oh, that rose has prior claims--- 
Needs its leaden vase filled brimming? 
Hell dry you up with its flames! 

II. 

At the meal we sit together: 
_Salve tibi!_ I must hear 
Wise talk of the kind of weather, 
Sort of season, time of year: 
_Not a plenteous cork-crop: scarcely 
Dare we hope oak-galls, I doubt: 
What's the Latin name for ``parsley''?_ 
What's the Greek name for Swine's Snout? 

III. 

Whew! We'll have our platter burnished, 
Laid with care on our own shelf! 
With a fire-new spoon we're furnished, 
And a goblet for ourself, 
Rinsed like something sacrificial 
Ere 'tis fit to touch our chaps--- 
Marked with L. for our initial! 
(He-he! There his lily snaps!) 

IV. 

_Saint_, forsooth! While brown Dolores 
Squats outside the Convent bank 
With Sanchicha, telling stories, 
Steeping tresses in the tank, 
Blue-black, lustrous, thick like horsehairs, 
---Can't I see his dead eye glow, 
Bright as 'twere a Barbary corsair's? 
(That is, if he'd let it show!) 

V. 

When he finishes refection, 
Knife and fork he never lays 
Cross-wise, to my recollection, 
As do I, in Jesu's praise. 
I the Trinity illustrate, 
Drinking watered orange-pulp--- 
In three sips the Arian frustrate; 
While he drains his at one gulp. 

VI. 

Oh, those melons? If he's able 
We're to have a feast! so nice! 
One goes to the Abbot's table, 
All of us get each a slice. 
How go on your flowers? None double 
Not one fruit-sort can you spy? 
Strange!---And I, too, at such trouble, 
Keep them close-nipped on the sly! 

VII. 

There's a great text in Galatians, 
Once you trip on it, entails 
Twenty-nine distinct damnations, 
One sure, if another fails: 
If I trip him just a-dying, 
Sure of heaven as sure can be, 
Spin him round and send him flying 
Off to hell, a Manichee? 

VIII. 

Or, my scrofulous French novel 
On grey paper with blunt type! 
Simply glance at it, you grovel 
Hand and foot in Belial's gripe: 
If I double down its pages 
At the woeful sixteenth print, 
When he gathers his greengages, 
Ope a sieve and slip it in't? 

IX. 

Or, there's Satan!---one might venture 
Pledge one's soul to him, yet leave 
Such a flaw in the indenture 
As he'd miss till, past retrieve, 
Blasted lay that rose-acacia 
We're so proud of! _Hy, Zy, Hine ..._ 
'St, there's Vespers! _Plena grati 
Ave, Virgo!_ Gr-r-r---you swin

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...