Blog Archive

Dante Gabriel Rosetti

Dante Gabriel Rossetti, by Lewis Carroll - NPG P29Albumen print by Lewis Carroll, 7 October, 1863


Woodspurge

The wind flapp'd loose, the wind was still, 

Shaken out dead from tree and hill: 
I had walk'd on at the wind's will,-- 
I sat now, for the wind was still. 

Between my knees my forehead was,-- 
My lips, drawn in, said not Alas! 
My hair was over in the grass, 
My naked ears heard the day pass. 

My eyes, wide open, had the run 
Of some ten weeds to fix upon; 
Among those few, out of the sun, 
The woodspurge flower'd, three cups in one. 

From perfect grief there need not be 
Wisdom or even memory: 
One thing then learnt remains to me,-- 
The woodspurge has a cup of three.

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...