Blog Archive

Thomas Hardy

 

TH_1891.gif









On the Belgian Expatriation

October 18, 1914

I dreamt that people from the Land of Chimes 
Arrived one autumn morning with their bells, 
To hoist them on the towers and citadels 
Of my own country, that the musical rhymes 

Rung by them into space at meted times 
Amid the market's daily stir and stress, 
And the night's empty star-lit silentness, 
Might solace souls of this and kindred climes. 

Then I awoke; and lo, before me stood 
The visioned ones, but pale and full of fear; 
From Bruges they came, and Antwerp, and Ostend, 

No carillons in their train. Foes of mad mood 
Had shattered these to shards amid the gear 
Of ravaged roof, and smouldering gable-end.

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...