Blog Archive

Thomas Hardy


Young Hardy1.JPG

At age 19 (only known image until he was 30)

The Pity of It


 April 1915

I walked in loamy Wessex lanes, afar 
From rail-track and from highway, and I heard 
In field and farmstead many an ancient word 
Of local lineage like 'Thu bist,' 'Er war,' 

'Ich woll', 'Er sholl', and by-talk similar, 
Nigh as they speak who in this month's moon gird 
At England's very loins, thereunto spurred 
By gangs whose glory threats and slaughters are. 

Then seemed a Heart crying: 'Whosoever they be 
At root and bottom of this, who flung this flame 
Between kin folk kin tongued even as are we, 

'Sinister, ugly, lurid, be their fame; 
May their familiars grow to shun their name, 
And their brood perish everlastingly.'

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...