Blog Archive

John Ashbery

John Ashbery’s 1975 collection Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror won the Pulitzer prize for poetry.


The Tomb of Stuart Merrill

from Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror (1975)

        It is the first soir of March
	They have taken the plants away.
	 
        Martha Hoople wanted a big “gnossienne” hydrangea
	Smelling all over of Jicky for her
	Card party: the basement couldn’t
	Hold up all that wildness.
	 
        The petits fours have left.
	 
        Then up and spake the Major:
	The new conservatism is
	Sitting down beside you.
	Once when the bus slid past Place Pereire
	I caught the lens-cover reflection: lilacs
	Won’t make much difference it said.
	 
        Otherwise in Paris why
	You never approved much of my pet remedies.
	I spoke once of a palliative for piles
	You wouldn’t try or admit to trying any other.
	Now we live without or rather we get along without
	Each other.  Each of us does
	Live within that conundrum
	We don’t call living
	Both shut up and open.
	Can knowledge ever be harmful?
	How about a mandate?  I think
	Of throwing myself on the mercy of the court.

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...