Blog Archive

Mina Loy







small box containing photo of Mina Loy under glass, framed within larger box.

Joseph Cornell. Box with Man Ray photograph of Mina Loy (1938)

‘Love Songs’, (1915)

I

Spawn of fantasies
Sitting the appraisable
Pig Cupid            his rosy snout
Rooting erotic garbage
“Once upon a time”
Pulls a weed      white star-topped
Among wild oats sown in mucous membrane
I would            an eye in a Bengal light
Eternity in a sky-rocket
Constellations in an ocean
Whose rivers run no fresher
Than a trickle of saliva

There are suspect places

I must live in my lantern
Trimming subliminal flicker
Virginal            to the bellows
Of experience

Colored glass. 

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...