Blog Archive

Amy Lowell



FIR-FLOWER TABLETS 
Poems translated from the Chinese by

FLORENCE AYSCOUGH 
Hon. Mem. North China Branch, Royal Asiatic Society

 

ENGLISH VERSIONS 
BY 
AMY LOWELL

Chinese characters

BOSTON AND NEW YORK 
HOUGHTON MIFFLIN COMPANY 
The Riverside Press Cambridge

                                                                        1921

Li Po

Drinking Alone in the Moonlight

 A POT of wine among flowers.

I alone, drinking, without a companion.
I lift the cup and invite the bright moon.
My shadow opposite certainly makes us three.
But the moon cannot drink,
And my shadow follows the motions of my body in vain.
For the briefest time are the moon and my shadow my companions.
Oh, be joyful! One must make the most of Spring.
I sing – the moon walks forward rhythmically;
I dance, and my shadow shatters and becomes confused.
In my waking moments, we are happily blended.
When I am drunk, we are divided from one another and scattered.
For a long time I shall be obliged to wander without intention;
But we will keep our appointment by the far-off Cloudy River. 

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...