Blog Archive

John Crowe Ransom


 








Dead Boy

The little cousin is dead, by foul subtraction, 

A green bough from Virginia's aged tree, 
And none of the county kin like the transaction, 
Nor some of the world of outer dark, like me. 

A boy not beautiful, nor good, nor clever, 
A black cloud full of storms too hot for keeping, 
A sword beneath his mother's heart—yet never 
Woman bewept her babe as this is weeping. 

A pig with a pasty face, so I had said, 
Squealing for cookies, kinned by poor pretense 
With a noble house. But the little man quite dead, 
I see the forbears' antique lineaments. 

The elder men have strode by the box of death 
To the wide flag porch, and muttering low send round 
The bruit of the day. O friendly waste of breath! 
Their hearts are hurt with a deep dynastic wound. 

He was pale and little, the foolish neighbors say; 
The first-fruits, saith the Preacher, the Lord hath taken; 
But this was the old tree's late branch wrenched away, 
Grieving the sapless limbs, the short and shaken.

John Ashbery

  The New Spirit (excerpt) I thought that if I could put it all down, that would be one way. And next the thought came to me that to leave a...